[Linux-cluster] Strange 'lock out all'

Kadlecsik Jozsef kadlec at sunserv.kfki.hu
Tue Mar 4 08:36:10 UTC 2008

Hi,

A strange situation happened here in our five-node GFS cluster. Two of the
nodes (lxserv1-gfs and web1-gfs) were fenced off due to an administrator
error. We still should have been able to run smoothly but two nodes got
disallowed(?!) and so only one vote remained. From the last standing node:

root at saturn:~# cman_tool status
Version: 6.0.1
Config Version: 6
Cluster Name: kfki
Cluster Id: 1583
Cluster Member: Yes
Cluster Generation: 2332
Membership state: Cluster-Member
Nodes: 4
Expected votes: 5
Total votes: 1
Quorum: 3
Active subsystems: 7
Flags: DisallowedNodes
Ports Bound: 0 11
Node name: saturn-gfs
Node ID: 5
Multicast addresses: 224.0.0.3
Node addresses: 192.168.192.18
Disallowed nodes: lxserv0-gfs web0-gfs

Why and how does a node get disallowed? How could we prevent it to happen
in the future?

Best regards,
Jozsef
E-mail : kadlec at mail.kfki.hu, kadlec at blackhole.kfki.hu
PGP key: http://www.kfki.hu/~kadlec/pgp_public_key.txt
Address: KFKI Research Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics
         H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary