[Linux-cluster] GFS2 Quota File Error

Steven Lee shl1 at cac.cornell.edu
Tue Mar 11 13:51:45 UTC 2008

Hi Abhi,

Thanks for your response.  I didn't do much to run into this problem.
The 2 file servers in this RedHat cluster are running fully patched
RHEL 5.1.  In addition to NFS, they are also serving to Windows
clients using samba.  ACLs were enabled.  Everything was running
smoothly until I tried enabling quotas: I simply added quota=on in /
etc/fstab and re-mounted the GFS partitions.

As you can see below, I simply issued "reset" and then "init" command
before getting the error message.    The "get" command also returned
inconsistent result from the "list" command.  This is a new file
server still under testing with only a small "prof" directory.

Did I do anything wrong?

Steven

---
[root at cacfs02 ~]# mount
/dev/mapper/vg00-root on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg00-var on /var type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg00-usr on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/mapper/vg00-tmp on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/st01vg01-lv01 on /export/gfs01 type gfs2
(rw,hostdata=jid=0:id=65537:first=0,acl,quota=on)
/dev/mapper/st01vg02-lv01 on /export/gfs02 type gfs2
(rw,hostdata=jid=1:id=393218:first=0,acl,quota=on)
/dev/mapper/st02vg01-lv01 on /export/gfs03 type gfs2
(rw,hostdata=jid=1:id=524290:first=0,acl,quota=on)
/dev/mapper/st02vg02-lv01 on /export/gfs04 type gfs2
(rw,hostdata=jid=1:id=655362:first=0,acl,quota=on)
[root at cacfs02 ~]# gfs2_quota reset -f /export/gfs02
This operation will permanently erase all quota information. You will
have to re-assign all quota limit/warn values. Proceed [y/N]? y
[root at cacfs02 ~]# gfs2_quota init -f /export/gfs02
warning: quota file size not a multiple of struct gfs2_quota

Warning: This filesystem doesn't seem to have the new quota list
format or the quota list is corrupt. list, check and init operation
performance will suffer due to this. It is recommended that you run
the 'gfs2_quota reset' operation to reset the quota file. All current
quota information will be lost and you will have to reassign all quota
limits and warnings

[root at cacfs02 ~]# gfs2_quota list -f /export/gfs02
warning: quota file size not a multiple of struct gfs2_quota

Warning: This filesystem doesn't seem to have the new quota list
format or the quota list is corrupt. list, check and init operation
performance will suffer due to this. It is recommended that you run
the 'gfs2_quota reset' operation to reset the quota file. All current
quota information will be lost and you will have to reassign all quota
limits and warnings

user        root:  limit: 0.0        warn: 0.0        value: 0.0
user        prof:  limit: 0.0        warn: 0.0        value: 0.4
group       root:  limit: 0.0        warn: 0.0        value: 0.0
group Domain Users:  limit: 0.0        warn: 0.0        value: 0.4
[root at cacfs02 ~]# gfs2_quota get -u prof -f /export/gfs02
warning: quota file size not a multiple of struct gfs2_quota
user        prof:  limit: 0.0        warn: 0.0        value: 0.0
[root at cacfs02 ~]# ls -l /export/gfs02
total 8
drwxrwx---+ 12 prof Domain Users 3864 Mar 10 14:06 prof
[root at cacfs02 ~]# uname -a
Linux cacfs02.cac.cornell.edu 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5 #1 SMP Wed Mar 5
11:37:38 EST 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root at cacfs02 ~]# rpm -q gfs2-utils
gfs2-utils-0.1.38-1.el5
---

Steven Lee