[Linux-cluster] Two node NFS cluster serving multiple networks

gordan at bobich.net gordan at bobich.net
Wed Mar 12 15:03:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Finnur Örn Guðmundsson - TM Software wrote:

> I see no reason why you could not have 3 diffrent interfaces, each
> connected to the networks you are trying to serve the NFS requests
> to/from. RG Manager will add the floating interfaces to the "correct"
> interface, that is, if your floating ip is 1.2.3.4 and you have a
> interface with the IP address 1.2.3.3 he will add the IP to that
> interface.

That means that not all IPs on an interface / entire subnet can be failed
over.

i.e. if I have a router/firewall that I want to make redundant, and I have
a subnet like 192.168.10.0/29 (192.168.10.0-192.168.10.8), I have to have
one of those IPs assigned to each router statically, (e.g. 192.168.10.6
and 192.168.10.7), and these addresses will never be failover-able. Only
addresses 192.168.10.1-5 will be "floating".

Is there a way to make all the addresses on an interface floating by
explicitly specifying the binding in cluster.conf, rather than having RGM
infer it from which interface already has IPs on the same subnet?

I think this is important in this day and age if IP address shortages.

Gordan