[Linux-cluster] Unformatting a GFS cluster disk

Wendy Cheng s.wendy.cheng at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 15:41:43 UTC 2008

DRand at amnesty.org wrote:

> ......The disk was previously a GFS disk and we reformatted it with
> exactly the same mkfs command both times. Here are more details. We
> are running the cluster on a Netapp SAN device.

Netapp SAN device has embedded snapshot features (and it has been the
main reason of choosing NetApp SAN devices for most of the customers).
It can restore your previous filesystem easily (just few commands away -
go to the console, do a "snap list", find your volume that hosts the lun
used for gfs, then do a "snap restore"). This gfs_edit approach (to
search thru the whole device block by block) is really a brute-force way
to do the restore. Unless you don't have "snap restore" license ?

-- Wendy