[Linux-cluster] SCSI Reservations & Red Hat Cluster Suite

Ryan O'Hara rohara at redhat.com
Fri Mar 28 16:53:55 UTC 2008

Tomasz Sucharzewski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ryan O'Hara wrote:
>>> 4  - Limitations
>>> - Multipath devices are not currently supported.
>
> What is the reason - it is strongly required to use at least two HBA in a SAN network, which is useless when using scsi reservation.

It has to do with how dm-multipath handles ioctls. In brief, the SCSI
registration/reservation commands use ioctls, and those need to be
passed to all devices within a dm-multipath target. This is required for
getting SCSI reservations to work, since all the I/O paths need to be
registered correctly.

I believe that this is only a limitation for RHEL4. RHEL5 should have a
fix that allows dm-multipath to properly pass ioctls to all devices.

-Ryan