[Linux-cluster] Unformatting a GFS cluster disk

Wendy Cheng s.wendy.cheng at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 21:54:22 UTC 2008

christopher barry wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 07:42 -0700, Lombard, David N wrote:

>>> fun as in 'May you live to see interesting times' kinda fun? Or really
>>> fun?
>>>
>> The former.  POSIX says that two files with the identical st_dev and
>> st_ino must be the *identical* file, e.g., hard links.  On a snapshot,
>> they could be two *versions* of a file with completely different
>> contents.  Google suggests that this contradiction also exists
>> elsewhere, such as with the virtual FS provided by ClearCase's VOB.
>>

> So, I'm trying to understand what to takeaway from this thread:
> * I should not use them?
> * I can use them, but having multiple snapshots introduces a risk that a
> snap-restore could wipe files completely by potentially putting a
> deleted file on top of a new file?
> * I should use them - but not use multiples.
> * something completely different ;)

Wait ! First, the "multiple snapshots sharing one inode" interpretation
about WAFL is not correct.  Second, there are plenty documents talking
about how to do snapshots with Linux filesystems (e.g. ext3) on Netapp
NOW web site where its customers can get accesses. Third, doing snapshot
on GFS is easier than ext3 (since ext3 journal can be on different volume).

Will do a draft write-up as soon as I'm off my current task (sometime
over this weekend).

-- Wendy