[Linux-cluster] Unformatting a GFS cluster disk

Wendy Cheng s.wendy.cheng at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 06:18:25 UTC 2008

Lombard, David N wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 04:54:22PM -0500, Wendy Cheng wrote:
>
>> christopher barry wrote:

>> Wait ! First, the "multiple snapshots sharing one inode"
>> interpretation about WAFL is not correct.
>>

> Same inode value.  I've experienced this multiple times, and, as
> I noted, is a consequence of copy-on-write.

Yes, you're correct, if you use Netapp filer as NAS server via NFS/CIFS
protocol. However, if you use Netapp filer as a block device (SAN) where
the disk resources are presented to linux host as LUNs that host GFS
filesystem(s), then how WAFL handles its inode is not relevant to this
discussion, since all user sees are GFS files (and gfs inodes).

I apologize for my terse sentence though.

-- Wendy