[Linux-cluster] Sanity Check

Brian D. Haymore brian at chpc.utah.edu
Tue May 6 18:57:11 UTC 2008

I tried to send this yesterday but didn't see it on the list yet so I
apologize if this ends up being a duplicate.

We have been starting to play with Cluster Suite as part of RHEL over
the past week.  Our needs, we think, are pretty basic.  However we have
not found enough information in the docs to help validate our plans as
being sane.  So for that I'm turning to the list in hopes someone can help.

What we are trying to do is simply have 3 servers attached to a SAN with
common disk storage.  By common storage I simply mean the SAN is zoned
so that all three servers can see this common storage.  We then want to
lvm, cluster lvm flag enabled, this storage such that we can create many
logical volumes.  Each of those LVs would have an ext3 file system on
it, implying only one server at a time will mount and use it.  Then we
can take the N LVs and distribute them out between the three servers in
a very fixed fashion.

So thus far we see that we need to have CMAN running as well as have
lvm2-cluster installed and having run `lvmconf --enable-cluster`.  Then
from system-config-lvm we created a cluster of our 3 servers.  We think
that is about all we need to do for this very crude initial setup.  This
is where we wanted to get some feedback if in fact this is an
acceptable, while overly basic, configuration.  Could someone offer any
feedback here?

We do realize that we are ignoring many of the key features of the
cluster setup where we could define these LVs and their file systems as
resourced as well as the services using them and have cman, rgmanager,
etc help build a more robust and polished setup.  We are in a time
crunch for now and need to get an initial setup going thus the above
question, then with time we hope to learn the other parts of the system
and then migrate things in a better direction.  Thanks for your time.

--
Brian D. Haymore
University of Utah