[Linux-cluster] Sanity Check

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Tue May 6 19:06:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 12:57 -0600, Brian D. Haymore wrote:

> So thus far we see that we need to have CMAN running as well as have
> lvm2-cluster installed and having run `lvmconf --enable-cluster`.  Then
> from system-config-lvm we created a cluster of our 3 servers.  We think
> that is about all we need to do for this very crude initial setup.  This
> is where we wanted to get some feedback if in fact this is an
> acceptable, while overly basic, configuration.  Could someone offer any
> feedback here?

That looks about right.  You also want fencing if you're using clustered
LVM to protect the LVM metadata, but I don't know if it's strictly
*required* or not, since you're statically assigning VGs to specific
nodes.

Note that if you just assign static LUNs to each node and manage those
LUNs from the SAN management interface, you don't even need lvm2-cluster
or CMAN.  For example, you can present only certain LUNs to certain
computers.

> We do realize that we are ignoring many of the key features of the
> cluster setup where we could define these LVs and their file systems as
> resourced as well as the services using them and have cman, rgmanager,
> etc help build a more robust and polished setup.

-- Lon