[Linux-cluster] Why GFS is so slow? What it is waiting for?

Ja S jas199931 at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 22:44:12 UTC 2008

--- Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

> 30K files?!
> That'll take a while even on a local file system.

Not really. Last week I made a copy of the directory
on the local hard disk (ext3). See the test results
for both "ls" and "ls -la" commands:

# time ls -la | wc -l
31767

real    0m2.967s
user    0m0.627s
sys     0m0.689s

# time ls | wc -l
31764

real    0m1.508s
user    0m0.262s
sys     0m0.082s

Comparing with the results in my previous email, does
it indicate that GFS is not designed for sharing huge
number of small files? I heard that GFS is originally
designed for sharing small number of larger files. Is
that true? If so, could you please kindly suggest a
file system which can handle huge number of concurrent
requests on many many number of small files?

Thanks for your interest.

Jas