[Linux-cluster] GFS on fedora

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sat May 10 19:16:55 UTC 2008

Oliveiros Cristina wrote:
> Hello, Gordan,
> Are you sure those are the packages?
> When I try to yum install gfs-utils and kmod-gfs, it says it doesn't
> know those packages...
>
> The other three are installed ok.

That's what the package names are on CentOS / RHEL5. I can't see why
they would be different on Fedora, but you can always do:

# yum list | grep -i gfs

and see what that returns. It is possible that kmod-gfs is actually
built into the kernel itself (Fedora have much more frequent complete
kernel updates, as stability is not the main requirement), so there is
no separate package.

If I had to hazard a guess, then gfs-utils isn't there because GFS1
isn't included in Fedora, only GFS2. So try gfs2-utils. The output of
"yum list" should make it obvious if this is the case.

I said it before and I'll say it again - use FC's GFS2 at your peril.
Last time I tried it (~6 months ago), it didn't work at all.

Gordan