[Linux-cluster] Oracle Shared-Nothing

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Tue May 13 06:51:46 UTC 2008

Hi...

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Lon Hohberger <lhh at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 11:14 +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I want to implement a shared-nothing active/passive failover cluster
>  > for Oracle 10g.  RAC is out of budget.
>  >
>  > I'm looking at drbd + heartbeat or cluster suite.
>  >
>  > Any experiences? recommendations? gotchas?
>  >
>  > In particular, any idea whether Oracle would support a non-RAC setup?
>
>  They support non-RAC configurations, but I doubt they would support
>  running the database on DRBD.  You should call Oracle on this one.

I will :)

>  Also, I **think** buying Oracle Database 10g Release 2 these days gets
>  you Oracle's failover technology called Cluster Ware - so you might not
>  need heartbeat or rgmanager (Cluster Suite component that provides
>  failover for off-the-shelf apps).

I have that in mind, yes.

>  If you're going to spend the money for Oracle (and you need failover
>  support), I'd really recommend getting a FC or iSCSI RAID array with
>  dual redundant internal controllers and a remote power switch.

The client is dead set against a RAID array, partly on cost (budget
v.tight), but also on physical space in the rack - there's only 2U
left, and a new rack costs £1000 pcm.

Do I recall mention of cmirror + GNBD as a possible solution to
shared-nothing, no-disk-array setups?

>  -- Lon

S.