[Linux-cluster] What is the order of processing a lock request?

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Tue May 13 09:06:06 UTC 2008

Ja S wrote:
> --- Christine Caulfield <ccaulfie at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Ja S wrote:
>>> --- Christine Caulfield <ccaulfie at redhat.com>

>> already
>> searching
>> find
>> the

>> common
>>>>
>>> I think I may be blind. I have not yet found a
>>> document which describes the sequence of processes
>> in
>>> a precise way. I tried to read the source code but
>>> gave up due to lack of comments.

>> doesn't

>>> Thanks for the description.
>>>
>>> However, one point is still not clear to me is how
>>> node can conclude whether it __knows__ the lock
>>> resource or not?
>> A node knows the resource if it has a local copy.
>> It's as simple as that.
>>

> If the node is a human and has a brain, it can
> "immediately" recall that it knows the lock resouce.
> However, for a computer program, it does not "know"
> anything until it search the target in what it has on
> hand.
>
> Therefore, the point here is the __search__. What
> should the node search and in which order, and how it
> searches?
>
> If I missed anything, please kindly point out so that
> I can clarify my question as clear as possible.

I think you're trying to make this more complicated than it is. As I've
said several times now, a node "knows" a resource if there is a local
lock on it. That's it! It's not more or less difficult than that, really
it isn't! If the node doesn't have a local lock on the resource then it
doesn't "know" it and has to ask the directory node where it is
mastered. (As I'm sure you already know, locks are  known by their lock
ID numbers, so there's no "search" involved there either).

There is no "search" for a lock around the cluster, that's what the
directory node provides. And as I have already said, that is located by
hashing the resource name to yield a node ID.

So, if you like, the "search" you seem to be looking for is simply a
hash of the resource name. But it's not really a search, and it's only
invoked when the node first encounters a resource.

Chrissie