[Linux-cluster] GFS, iSCSI, multipaths and RAID

Wendy Cheng s.wendy.cheng at gmail.com
Tue May 13 19:05:33 UTC 2008

Michael O'Sullivan wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have set up a small experimental network with a linux cluster and
> SAN that I want to have high data availability. There are 2 servers
> that I have put into a cluster using conga (thank you luci and ricci).
> There are 2 storage devices, each consisting of a basic server with 2
> x 1TB disks. The cluster servers and the storage devices each have 2
> NICs and are connected using 2 gigabit ethernet switches.

It is a little bit hard to figure out the exact configuration based on
this description (a diagram would help if you can). In general, I don't
think GFS tuned well with iscsi, particularly the latency could spike if
DLM traffic gets mingled with file data traffic, regardless your network
bandwidth. However, I don't have enough data to support the speculation.
It is also very application dependent. One key question is what kind of
GFS applications you plan to dispatch in this environment ?

I see you have a SAN here .. Any reason to choose iscsi over FC ?

> I have created a single striped logical volume on each storage device
> using the 2 disks (to try and speed up I/O on the volume). These
> volumes (one on each storage device) are presented to the cluster
> servers using iSCSI (on the cluster servers) and iSCSI target (on the
> storage devices). Since there are multiple NICs on the storage devices
> I have set up two iSCSI portals to each logical volume. I have then
> used mdadm to ensure the volumes are accessible via multipath.

The iscsi target function is carried out by the storage device
(firmware) or you use Linux's iscsi target ?

> Finally, since I want the storage devices to present the data in a
> highly available way I have used mdadm to create a software raid-5
> across the two multipathed volumes (I realise this is essentially
> mirroring on the 2 storage devices but I am trying to set this up to
> be extensible to extra storage devices). My next step is to present
> the raid array (of the two multipathed volumes - one on each storage
> device) as a GFS to the cluster servers to ensure that locking of
> access to the data is handled properly.

So you're going to have CLVM built on top of software RAID ? .. This
looks cumbersome. Again, a diagram could help people understand more.

-- Wendy