[Linux-cluster] GFS in High Traffic ?

Leo Pleiman lpleiman at redhat.com
Sat May 17 00:37:28 UTC 2008

Paul,

We have similar demands at my customer, and with larger file systems. We
have gotten good results by placing the cluster traffic on a dedicated
interface. Once the cluster traffic (as defined in the cluster.conf
file) was placed on a dedicated interface all our stabilization problems
disappeared. If you hardware is interface limited, you can use vlan
tagging and place the cluster traffic in a dedicated vlan. It doesn't
provide the additional bandwidth but it seems to dramatically help.

When we asked the same question, the general answer from the developers
was, "it is always a good idea to place cluster traffic on a dedicated
interface." As an interesting note, for an oracle RAC installation, the
Oracle cluster traffic MUST be on a dedicated interface.