[Linux-cluster] concurrent write performance

Ross Vandegrift ross at kallisti.us
Thu May 22 17:52:23 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some tests with a clustered GFS installation that will
evetually host an application that will make heavy use of concurrent
writes across nodes.

Testing such a scenarios with a script designed to simulate multiple
writers shows that add I add writer processes across nodes,
performance drops off.  This makes some sense to me, as the nodes need
to do more complicated neogtiation of locking.

Two questions:

1) What is the expected scalability of GFS for many writer nodes as
the number of nodes increases?

2) What kinds of things can I do to increase random write performance
on GFS?  I'm even interested in things that cause some trade-off with
read performance.

I've got the filesystem mounted on all nodes with noatime,quota=off.

My filesystem isn't large enough to benefit from reducing the number
of resource groups.

It looks like drop_count for the dlm isn't there anymore.  I looked
at /sys/kernel/config/dlm/cluster - what do the various items in there
tune, and which can I try to mess with to help write performance?

Finally, I don't see any sign of statfs_slots in the current gfs2_tool
gettune output.  Is there an equivalent I can muck with?

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at kallisti.us

man in the bonds of Hell."