[Linux-cluster] Problems with gfs_grow

Bob Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Fri May 23 17:50:13 UTC 2008

Hi Mikko,

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 09:04 +0300, Mikko Partio wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I tried to expand my gfs filesystem from 1,5TB to 2TB. I added the new
> 500G disk to volume manager etc, and finally run gfs_grow. The command
> finished without warnings, but a few seconds after that my cluster
> crashed with "Kernel Panic - not syncing. Fatal exception". When I got
> the cluster up again and executed gfs_fsck on the filesystem I get
> this error:
>
> sh-3.1# gfs_fsck -v /dev/xxx-vg/xxx-lv
> Initializing fsck
> Initializing lists...
> Initializing special inodes...
> Validating Resource Group index.
> Level 1 check.
> 5167 resource groups found.
> (passed)
> Setting block ranges...
> Can't seek to last block in file system: 4738147774
> Unable to determine the boundaries of the file system.
> Freeing buffers.

You've probably hit the gfs_grow bug described in bz #434962 (436383)
and the gfs_fsck bug described in 440897 (440896).  My apologies if
you can't read them; permissions to individual bugzilla records are
out of my control.  It's not guaranteed to be your problem, but it
sounds similar.

The fixes are available in the recently released RHEL5.2, although
I don't know when they'll hit Centos.  The fixes are also available
in the latest cluster git tree if you want to compile/install them
from source code yourself.  Documentation for doing this can
be found at: http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/wiki/ClusterGit

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat Clustering & GFS