[Linux-cluster] LVM hanging during mkinitrd checks

denis denisb+gmane at gmail.com
Thu May 29 08:20:18 UTC 2008

During the update to RHEL5.2 I had another problem.

The mkinitrd process would hang indefinitely while scanning my block
devices with
"lvm.static lvs --ignorelockingfailure --noheadings -o vg_name blockdev"

stracing the lvs process showed no signs of life. It hung on random
function calls (I checked several hung lvs processes during the update).

I simply killed the lvs processes when they hung. A manual check of lvs
did hang and never returned output so the issue was system wide, not
specific to the update run.

Could this be because I unmounted my shared GFS volume prior to the
update? I cannot really see why that should be problematic, but lvs on
the other (non upgraded node) worked fine.

After finishing the update, lvs works fine and returns the expected :
"  No volume groups found"

What is the best practise for updates of GFS components? Should I keep
my volumes mounted during updates or unmount them?

Regards
--
Denis