[Linux-cluster] Data Loss / Files and Folders "2-Node_GFS-Cluster"

Wendy Cheng s.wendy.cheng at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 18:06:38 UTC 2008

Doug Tucker wrote:
>> The changes were made on 2.6.22 kernel. I would think RHEL 4.7 has the
>> same issue - but I'm not sure as I left Red Hat before 4.7 was released.
>> Better to open a service ticket to Red Hat if you need the fix.
>>
>> If applications are directly run on GFS nodes, instead of going thru NFS
>> servers, posix locks and flocks should work *fine* across different
>> nodes. The problem had existed in Linux NFS servers for years - no one
>> seemed to complain about it until clusters started to get deployed more
>> commonly.
>>
>> -- Wendy
>>
>> --
>>

> That's always been tough for me to discern, as they stay with the same
> base kernel "name" while actually moving the code forward.  4.7 has
> kernel:  2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp .  Now how that translates to the "actual"
> kernel number as 2.6.21, 22, etc, I never can figure out.

You seem to assume, if the service ticket is approved, the fix would
have to move the whole kernel from 2.6.9 into 2.6.22 ? That is a
(surprising) mis-understanding.

As any bug fix with any operating system distribution, it could get done
across different kernels, if it passes certain types of risk and
resource review process(es). The code change has to be tailored into its
own release framework - the actual implementation may look different but
it should accomplish similar logic(s) to fix the identical problem.

Hopefully I interpret your comment right.

-- Wendy