[Linux-cluster] GFS2 poor performance

Jeff Sturm jeff.sturm at eprize.com
Thu Nov 6 19:53:30 UTC 2008

I looked over the summit document you referenced below.  The value of demote_secs mentioned is an example setting, and unfortunately no recommendations or rationale accompany this.

For some access patterns you can get better performance by actually increasing demote_secs.  For example, we have a node that we routinely rsync a file tree onto using a GFS partition.  Increasing demote_secs from 300 to 86400 reduced the average rsync time by a factor of about 4.  The reason is that this node has little lock contention and needs to lock each file every time we start an rsync process.  With demote_secs=300, it was doing much more work to reacquire locks on each run.  Whereas demote_secs=86400 allowed the locks to persist up to a day, since the overall number of files in our application is bounded such that they will fit in buffer cache, together with locks.

At another extreme, we have an application that creates a lot of files but seldom opens them on the same node.  In this case there is no value in holding onto the locks, so we set demote_secs to a small value and glock_purge as high as 70 to ensure locks are quickly released in memory.

The best advice I can give in general is to experiment with different settings for demote_secs and glock_purge while watching the output of "gfs_tool counters" to see how they behave.

Jeff