[Linux-cluster] gfs2 convert hosed all VMs

Dave Costakos david.costakos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 17:00:08 UTC 2008

I'm using the kernel from RHEL 5.2 release.

$ uname -rm
2.6.18-92.el5xen x86_64

I got no syslog messages, but when I ran gfs_fsck, it complained quite a
bit.  I presume it destroyed my files. Sadly, I don't have too much time to
reproduce the error since I need to restore 30 virtual machines from
backup.  Luckily, it's just our lab environment.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 1:24 AM, Steven Whitehouse <swhiteho at redhat.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You don't say what kernel version you are using. I'd suspect that maybe
> its too old. Do you get any messages in syslog at all?
>
> Steve.
>
> On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 19:53 -0800, Dave Costakos wrote:
> >
> > I just converted a shared file-backed Xen VM GFS filesystem to a GFS2
> > filesystem.  The conversion was successfully and all my files appear
> > intact.  I followed the GFS instructions by unmounting the filesystem
> > on all machines, running gfs_fsck, and gfs2_covert.
> >
> > Since I converted the filesystem, all my file-backed Xen VMs can no
> > longer boot.  pygrub reports errors that the boot loader isn't
> > returning any data.  If I edit the Xen config to boot of a kernel on
> > the DomU, VMs still can't start up because LVM cannot identify any
> > volume groups.
> >
> > If I try to access the VM device files locally via losetup and kpartx,
> > I get "read errors".
> >
> > So what's the deal  I know GFS2 is a preview, but I have to assume
> > I've missed some crucial step here.
> >
> > --
> > Dave Costakos
> > mailto:david.costakos at gmail.com