[Linux-cluster] What is the proper way to grow LVM/GFS volumes

Jeremy Lyon jerlyon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 14:42:01 UTC 2008

> I have also encountered this problem several times, and although this list
> seems to recommend running clvmd -R it has in fact never helped the
> situation (I'm running centos 5.2). The only way I can solve this problem is
> by rebooting all nodes in the cluster and then extending the lv.

We have seen this too, but do not go the route of rebooting.  The nice thing
about clvmd is that it's not required for the cluster to continue running
once up and established.  It's purpose is to communicate LVM metadata
changes to all nodes in the cluster.  So you can simply kill -9 the clvmd
process on all nodes then run service clvmd start. This will get clvmd back
up and allow pv/vg/lv commmands to complete correctly.

-Jeremy