[Linux-cluster] Geographical Load-Balancing/High-Availability ?!

Stephen Amadei stephenamadei at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:16:02 UTC 2008

Personally, I'm not too keen on DNS solutions.  I use UltraMonkey, which includes LDirectord, and it has provisions for some geographical load balancing between real servers by using tunnels, but to me something isn't geographical load balancing until you are dealing with separate sites handing off to one or the other via internet with no direct connection.  For me, I prefer using BGP to provide this bit of geographic redundancy, but it doesn't really truly load balance.  As Nik noted, the chances of split-brain are increased like this... so I always thought it would be interesting to set up a three-site geographic load balancing setup and use a consensus to determine when the disconnected node should accept that it is offline.

Just my thoughts, way too early in the morning.

Stephen

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 14:30:53 +0200From: minoritystorm at gmail.comTo: linux-cluster at redhat.comSubject: Re: [Linux-cluster] Geographical Load-Balancing/High-Availability ?!
Well,From what I understand is that there will be a 3rd party handling the communication of the Layer 3 routing (if I got you well), however the only thing available right now is the physical nodes, I am also aware that such setup would increase thee probability of a split-brain situation, I also did not understand the part (need this in order to migrate the IP addresses the services are published on between your two geographical locations), you mean if a box is dead it will still have the capability to migrate the services to the other one ?I am also thinking about about DNS based load-balancing, may be creating DNS records at different DNS service providers and have each one a different A record but I'vnt thought about how sessions/cookies/ssl/ftp would be handled through this way ?Thanks so much!