[Linux-cluster] CLVM clarification

Angelo Compagnucci angelo.compagnucci at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 15:39:34 UTC 2008

Hi to all,This is my first post on this list. Thanks in advance for every
answer.

I've already read every guide in this matter, this is the list:

Cluster_Administration.pdf
Cluster_Logical_Volume_Manager.pdf
Global_Network_Block_Device.pdf
Cluster_Suite_Overview.pdf
Global_File_System.pdf
CLVM.pdf
RedHatClusterAdminOverview.pdf

The truth is that I've not clear a point about CLVM.

Let's me make an example:

In this example CLVM and the Cluster suite are fully running without
problems. Let's pose the same configuration of cluster.conf and lvm.conf and
the nodes of the cluster are joined and operatives.

NODE1:

pvcreate /dev/hda3

NODE2:

pvcreate /dev/hda2

Let's pose that CLVM spans LVM metadata across the cluster, if I stroke the
command:

pvscan

I should see /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3

and then I can create a vg with

vgcreate /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 ...

The question is: How LVM metadata sharing works? I have to use GNBD on the
row partion to share a device between nodes? I can create a GFS over a
spanned volume group? Are shareable only logical volumes?

Thanks for your answers!!