[Linux-cluster] CLVM clarification

Angelo Compagnucci angelo.compagnucci at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 10:28:29 UTC 2008

Ok, this could be clear, but in the Cluster_Logical_Volume_Manager.pdf I've
read (bottom of page 3):
"The clmvd daemon is the key clustering extension to LVM. The clvmd daemon
runs in each cluster computer and distributes LVM metadata updates in a
cluster, presenting each cluster computer with the same view of the logical
volumes"

This is a picture of wath I have in mind:

|      GFS filesystem            |
|            LV                         |
|            VG                        |
|  PV1     |  PV2     |   PV3   |
| GNBD1 | GNBD2 | GNBD3 |
| hda1     |  hda1    |   hda1   |
| Node1   | Node2  |   Node3 |

In this case the clvm features are not useful because there is only one
machine (that could not be a node of a cluster) that have the lvm over GNBD
exported devices. So the nodes doesn't know nothing about the other nodes.

Let's pose this situation:

|            GFS                           |
|                LV                          |
|         VG1         |        VG2      |
|         PV1         |        PV2       |
|      Node1         |      Node2      |
|        CLVM coordinates           |

In this situatuation makes sense to have a clustered lvm because if I have
to make some maintenance over VGs, CLVM can lock and unlock the interested
device.

Is this the correct behaviour??

In the contrary, which is the CLVM role in a cluster?