[Linux-cluster] rhcs + gfs performance issues

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Oct 3 16:25:30 UTC 2008

It sounds like you have a SAN (fibre attached storage) that you are trying to turn into a NAS. That's justifiable if you have multiple mirrored SANs, but makes a mockery of HA if you only have one storage device since it leaves you with a single point of failure regardless of the number of front end nodes.

Do you have a separate gigabit interface/vlan just for cluster communication? RHCS doesn't use a lot of sustained bandwidth but performance is sensitive to latencies for DLM comms. If you only have 2 nodes, a direct crossover connection would be ideal.

How big is your data store? Are files large or small? Are they in few directories with lots of files (e.g. Maildir)?

Load averages will go up - that's normal, since there is added latency (round trip time) from locking across nodes. Unless your CPUs is 0% idle, the servers aren't running out of steam. So don't worry about it.

Also note that a clustered FS will _ALWAYS_ be slower than a non-clustered one, all things being equal. No exceptions. Also, if you are load sharing across the nodes, and you have Maildir-like file structures, it'll go slower than a purely fail-over setup, even on a clustered FS (like GFS), since there is no lock bouncing between head nodes. For extra performance, you can use a non-clustered FS as a failover resource, but be very careful with that since dual mounting a non-clustered FS will destroy the volume firtually instantly.

Provided that your data isn't fundamentally unsuitable for being handled by a clustered load sharing setup, you could try increasing lock trimming and increasing the number of resource groups. Search through the archives for details on that.

More suggestions when you provide more details on what your data is like.

Gordan