[Linux-cluster] GFS & journal resources ... common ratio?

Caron, Chris caronc at navcanada.ca
Tue Oct 7 20:57:24 UTC 2008

I just have a quick question regarding the amount of storage occupied by
the journals. Is there a common ratio to determine how much space will
be occupied?

I'm doing very rough map and experimenting with different conditions,
but I can't seem to get a common mechanism for predicting the usable
storage limit given the number of locks.

Currently we have an 8 node cluster with 9 journals defined (+1 just in
case)...  We are awaiting the external storage hardware; but in the time
being I am using exporting iscsi drives from another machine to work
with.

With 9 locks and creating a 1.75GB partition, I get 655 MB usable from
it.... (roughly calculated ratio: 3.37)

With 9 locks and creating a 1.50GB partition, I get 393 MB usable from
it.... (roughly calculated ratio: 2.36)

With 9 locks and creating a 1.25GB partition, I get 131 MB usable from
it.... (roughly calculated ratio: 0.90)

I'm obviously missing a figure during my calculations because the ratios
vary each time... I'd have expected them to be a bit more constant...

At the end of the day I want to be able to know ahead of time how much
hard-disk space I need to allocate for 'X usable' based on the number of
locks I'm using.

The simple equation I used was:

X/9=USABLE/ALLOCATED

ie: (X/9=.655/1.75 = 3.369)