[Linux-cluster] RE: Can't create LV in 2-node cluster

michael.osullivan at auckland.ac.nz michael.osullivan at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Oct 9 20:30:48 UTC 2008

    * From: John Ruemker <jruemker redhat com>
    * To: linux clustering <linux-cluster redhat com>
    * Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] RE: Can't create LV in 2-node cluster
    * Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 14:33:45 -0400

michael osullivan auckland ac nz wrote:

    Hi Mark,

    clvmd is running fine on both nodes. The result of "service clvmd
status" is

    clvmd (pid xxxxx) is running...
    active volumes: LogVol00 LogVol01

    The result of vgscan is

    Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
    Found volume group "iscsi_raid_vg" using metadata type lvm2
    Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2

    I just can't create a logical volume either from the command line or
using
    system-config-lvm...

> Did you partition the device before adding a physical volume to it? If
so, did you run partprobe on both nodes? A common scenario is to
partition the device from node 1 and create a physical volume on it.
However the partition table is not automatically read on the second node
so it has no idea there is a partition there. When clvmd tells the
second node to activate a vg or lv on this unknown device, that node
responds that it can't lock on to the device since it has no idea what
it is. If you do end > up in this situation then usually the solution is
to do this on both nodes

>   # rm /etc/lvm/cache/.cache
>   # partprobe
>   # clvmd -R
>
> Then from one node:
>
>   # pvscan
>   # vgscan
>   # lvchange -ay vg/lv
>

> Try this and see if it helps.
>
> -John

Thanks for your help John,

I didn't partition the device before adding the physical volume, I just
used pvcreate. I tried you advice except for the last step as I have not
managed to create a logical volume to activate. The error changed a
little:

lvcreate -n iscsi_raid_lv -l 4882 iscsi_raid_vg gives

Error locking on node <other node>: Error backing up metadata, can't find
VG for group vg
Aborting. Failed to activate new LV to wipe the start of it.

Note that "group vg" used to be "group #global" before I tried your
solution. Any other ideas? This has got me really stumped. The commands I
used to create the physical volume and volume group were:

pvcreate /dev/iscsi_raid

vgcreate -cy iscsi_raid_vg /dev/iscsi_raid

But now lvcreate won't cooperate.

Thanks again for any help. Also thanks for your previous help too. Thanks,
Mike