[Linux-cluster] GFS Tunables

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Thu Oct 16 16:30:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:50:53AM -0500, Wendy Cheng wrote:

> Unless other GFS folks can give you more ideas, I think your best bet at
> this moment is to think "outside" the box. That is, don't do
> file-to-file backup if all possible. Check out other block level backup
> strategies. Are Linux LVM mirroring and/or snapshots workable for you ?
> Does your SAN vendor provide embedded features (e.g. Netapp SAN box
> offers snapshot, snapmirror, syncmirror, etc) ?

What about GFS2?

We have similar problems, using GFS on a ftp server, where (for example)
doing rsync's is almost impossible for large trees.

We tried some of the tuning suggestions you made in earlier mails and on
your web pages on RHEL 5.l, but none of them had a substantial effect,
only the tuning for making "df" more responsive worked.

We (while already having put part of our volumes on ext3 with NFS, a
situation that is far from ideal for the cluster) are about to do some
new tests.  One of the is trying GFS2 on one volume.

I'd appreciate if you can summarize (references to) the current
(RHEL 5.2) tuning possibilities for GFS.  If there is nothing new,
we want to start a test with GFS2.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>