[Linux-cluster] Cluster and LVG/LV

Jeff Sturm jeff.sturm at eprize.com
Fri Oct 24 14:59:44 UTC 2008

Okay.  For CLVM it probably makes the most sense to run one big volume
group across your cluster, but there's also the option of running a
non-clustered LVM on each Dom0 host.  The latter would only work for you
however if you don't require Xen migration.

I see 3 options for central storage in a Xen cluster, each with their
own drawbacks:

1) Run a single clustered volume group across all hosts, containing one
or more PV's from your shared storage.

2) Run a non-clustered volume group on each host, each with a distinct
PV carved out of your shared storage.

3) Export storage for each host individually from your SAN, i.e. rely
completely on your SAN for volume management.  With this you don't need
LVM at all.

Both 1) and 3) allow you to use Xen migration.  2) is feasible if you
don't need to migrate guests online.

Our problem with 1) is snapshot support, and that we could not get
pvmove to work acceptably well.  (We had to make the entire volume group
inactive before pvmove would even run--I'm not sure if it is expected,
or what we did wrong.)

We've tried and failed at 1), and will now be attempting 3).  This gives
us a lot of flexibility on a storage appliance that supports snapshots.
I'd still like to have pvmove work so we could migrate online from one
SAN to another, if needed, but I haven't been able to get it to work
acceptably well.

Also I thought I had read that snapshots are not supported by a
clustered LVM?  That would be difficult for us too, as we are relying on
snapshots for a backup mechanism.

Jeff