[Linux-cluster] Cluster Two nodes - Software Installation

Rajagopal Swaminathan raju.rajsand at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 17:03:28 UTC 2008

Greetings

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 8:57 PM, AFAHOUNKO Danny <afahounko at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm newbees in Clustering. I've installed a cluster with two nodes without
> a share storage.

I want i know if it's possible to install a software (apache, exim,...)
> once, and it will be automaticaly deployed on the two nodes ?!
> I'm using RedHat 5.1 Advanced Plateform with RedHat Cluster Suite.

On the face of it, No.

C'mon, How can two different OS images find the same binary when the storage
is not available in shared mode?

(NFS, one of the possible options in your case, is considered Shared
Storage, But then it could be a pain to configure to do what you want)

But it is just not worth it

Assuming both the nodes are identical in hardware, why not install all the
packages on say node 1. using yumand then copy the /var/cache/yum from that
node and do a yum install in node 2.

This may not be painful for small number of nodes but can can get unwieldy
if cluster nodes are large. In which case one should contemplete using
kickstart _before_ RHEL install. IOW, Plan properly

HTH

Regards

Rajagopal