[Linux-cluster] Ethernet Channel Bonding Configuration Clarification is Needed

Stevan Colaco stevan.colaco at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 07:34:26 UTC 2008

Hello Balaji,

Before looking into Cluter setup, is th Channel ethernet bonding working OK?

1) have you set the alias entry for bond0 interface in /etc/modprobe.conf ??
[root at web2 ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=1 miimon=100 use_carrier=0
#

2) is the bonding module loaded?
[root at web2 ~]# lsmod | grep -i bonding
bonding                72252  0
[root at web2 ~]#

3) if not then load the module
 #modprobe bonding
#lsmod | grep -i bonding
#make sure the channel bonding is module is loaded.

4) ifdown bond0 OR #ifdown eth0

5) below are my server Ifcfg config files, compare your config files with them.

[root at web2 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
SLAVE=yes
MASTER=bond0
HWADDR=00:1C:C4:BE:8C:70
[root at web2 network-scripts]#

[root at web2 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
SLAVE=yes
MASTER=bond0
HWADDR=00:1C:C4:BE:8C:7E
[root at web2 network-scripts]#

[root at web2 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-bond0
DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=10.10.1.91
NETMASK=255.255.255.128
ONBOOT=yes
[root at web2 network-scripts]#

6) restart network service
#service network restart

7) verify bond0 interface works fine...

#ip addr list  ----> look for bond0, eth0 and eth1 interfaces

[root at web2 network-scripts]# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v2.6.3-rh (June 8, 2005)

Bonding Mode: fault-tolerance (active-backup)
Primary Slave: None
Currently Active Slave: eth0
MII Status: up
MII Polling Interval (ms): 100