[Linux-cluster] Problem with shared storage and volume groups

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 07:44:11 UTC 2008

michael.osullivan at auckland.ac.nz wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> The output of pvs and vgs on the node where I created the volume group are:
>
> [root at croi-01 ~]# pvs
>   PV              VG            Fmt  Attr PSize  PFree
>   /dev/iscsi_raid iscsi_raid_vg lvm2 a-   19.07G 19.07G
>   /dev/sda2       VolGroup00    lvm2 a-   37.16G     0
> [root at croi-01 ~]# vgs
>   VG            #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
>   VolGroup00      1   2   0 wz--n- 37.16G     0
>   iscsi_raid_vg   1   0   0 wz--nc 19.07G 19.07G
> [root at croi-01 ~]#
>
> On the other node they are
>
> [root at croi-02 ~]# pvs
>   PV              VG            Fmt  Attr PSize  PFree
>   /dev/sda2       VolGroup00    lvm2 a-   37.16G     0
> [root at croi-02 ~]# vgs
>   VG            #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize  VFree
>   VolGroup00      1   2   0 wz--n- 37.16G     0
> [root at croi-02 ~]#
>
> No errors are apparent in /var/log/messages...

So the important thing there is that /dev/iscsi_raid is not visible (to
LVM) on croi-02. Without that, the VG that resides on it is not going to
be available to it.

Make sure that iscsi_raid is actually available on that node (not just
visible, but accessible) and also that it is not excluded by some filter
in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf. Running vgscan will reload the filters and
re-create the cache file /etc/lvm/.cache. That latter file shows which
devices LVM will scan.

If you're sure that the device is available and not filtered out then

pvscan --config 'global {locking_type=0}' -vvvvvv

and see if you can see in that (long and involved) log file why the
device is not being used.

Chrissie