[Linux-cluster] Disable fencing in a non-shared storage cluster

Cleber Rodrigues crosa at redhat.com
Wed Apr 1 19:27:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 14:03 -0500, David Teigland wrote:
> You may want something to terminate the IP, but I wouldn't use the word
> "fencing" to describe it, just to avoid confusion.  Fencing is explicitly
> defined as disabling access to shared storage devices.

IMHO, "fencing" now means the pratical use of it. It might mean
disabling access to storage, but most of the time it means STONITH.

> That said, you may be able to use the fencing capabilities to implement what
> you need.

And that would be...? Connecting to the (probably unreachable) machine
and shutting down its network interface?

Call me paranoid, but I would always go for power cycling *first*.

--
Cleber Rodrigues <crosa at redhat.com>
Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Inc.