[Linux-cluster] Fenced failing continuously

Virginian virginian at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 10 06:36:58 UTC 2009

Hi Ian,

I think there is a flaw in the design. For example, say the network card fails on machine A. Machine B detects this and tries to fence machine A. The problem with doing it via ssh to modify iptables is that there is no network connectivity to Machine A and hence this mechanism will never work. What you need is a solution that works independently of the OS such as a power switch or remote management interface such as IBM RSA II, HP iLO etc. With fencing, the solution has to be absolute and ruthless in that, in this example, machine B needs to be able to fence Machine A absolutely every time there is a problem and as soon as there is a problem.

Regards

John