[Linux-cluster] really reliable?

Finnur Örn Guðmundsson finnzi at finnzi.com
Tue Apr 14 16:31:37 UTC 2009

Ryan Golhar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is redhat cluster suite really reliable?  I've been having so much
> trouble getting a cluster up and running, I'm beginning to second
> guess my decision to use this software stack.
>
> I have 3 nodes (eventually 10) running and set up.  The fencing method
> is by a brocade fibre switch.  The ultimate goal of this cluster is to
> shared a SAN connected by fibre.
>
> I've installed just the bare minimum (before even getting to GFS) to
> test the cluster software.  Just starting cman cluster services fails
> on two of the nodes.
>
> Even when I try to reboot the nodes, I can't because the whole system
> hangs on various processes that don't ever shut down.  I have to
> physically reboot these boxes.
>
> The logs fill up with errors about not being able to connect to cman,
> etc.
>
> I've been at it for awhile now and am not sure this is the best route
> anymore.
>
> Ryan
Hi Ryan,

I've got around 5 RHEL 5.{1 2 3} clusters running (3 of them are running
Oracle, other NFS/MySQL) with out any issues at all. However all of
these are 2 node clusters.

If you are having some issues you might want to talk to Red Hat
regarding those and get them sorted (if you have a support contract
anyway).

Most of my errors have been with iptables and mis-configured TKO for my
Quorum heuristics ;)

Bgrds,
Finnur