[Linux-cluster] GFS2 performance on large files

Christopher Smith csmith at nighthawkrad.net
Thu Apr 23 15:24:18 UTC 2009

Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:41:45 +0200, Christopher Smith

>> Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% behind using COTS stuff wherever possible,
>> and setups with DRBD, et al, have worked very well for us in several
>> locations.  But there are some situations where it just doesn't (eg: SAN
>> LUNs shared between multiple servers - unless you want to forego the
>> performance benefits of write caching and DIY with multiple machines,
>> DRBD and iscsi-target).
>
> I'm not sure write-caching is that big a deal - your SAN will be caching
> all the writes anyway. Granted, the cache will be about 0.05ms further
> away than it would be on a local controller, but then again, the
> clustering overheads will relegate that into the realm of irrelevance.
> I have yet to see a shared-SAN file system that doesn't introduce
> performance penalties big enough to make the ping time to SAN a drop
> in the ocean.

I was actually thinking of the DIY-SAN scenario.  Eg: you get a couple
of 2U machines with a few TB of internal disk, mirror them with DRBD,
then export the disk as an iSCSI target.  Setup something (we used
heartbeat) to failover between the two and voila, you have your own
redundant iSCSI SAN.

Unfortunately you then can't get the best benefit from the dirt cheap
gigabytes of RAM you can stuff into those machines for write caching,
since there's no way to synchronise between the two - so if one machines
dies there's data loss.

The same applies if you want to DIY an SMB or NFS NAS - either no write
caching, or a high risk of data corruption.

(Unless I'm missing something ?)

> Just being a devil's advocate. ;)

Me too, to a degree.  We have a couple of SANs, primarily to keep
higher-ups feeling warm and fuzzy, and I'm not convinced any of them
have delivered anything close to proportionally better performance and
reliability than something we could have built ourselves.

With that said, I wouldn't want to be the guy who (for example) DIYed an
NFS NAS to run crtical Oracle DBs on, when Oracle support comes back
with "until you're running on supported storage, we won't help you with
your Oracle problems".

--
Christopher Smith

UNIX Team Leader
Nighthawk Radiology Services
Limmatquai 4, 6th Floor
8001 Zurich, Switzerland
http://www.nighthawkrad.net
Sydney Fax:    +61 2 8211 2333
Zurich Fax:    +41 43 497 3301
USA Toll free:  866 241 6635

Email:         csmith at nighthawkrad.net
IP Extension:  8163
Sydney Phone:  +61 2 8211 2363
Sydney Mobile: +61 4 0739 7563
Zurich Phone:  +41 44 267 3363
Zurich Mobile: +41 79 550 2715

All phones forwarded to my current location, however, please consider
the local time in Zurich before calling from abroad.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:   This email, including any attachments,
contains information from NightHawk Radiology Services, which may be
confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the
use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please notify NightHawk Radiology Services
immediately by forwarding message to postmaster at nighthawkrad.net and
destroy all electronic and hard copies of the communication, including
attachments.