[Linux-cluster] qdiskd error `does match kernel's reported sector size'

Mrugesh Karnik mrugeshkarnik at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 10:17:44 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have a two node cluster configured with qdisk. The original setup is with
both nodes being CentOS 5.3. Today, I decided to see if I could get GFS2
working with Debian. So I installed Lenny on one of the nodes. Made it a dual
boot system with the same cluster configuration. The other node wasn't touched
at all and was always online with the qdisk making the cluster quorate.

On the Debian node, I can join the quorate cluster and the fence domain as
well. However, qdiskd spits out the following in the logs and doesn't start
up:
Apr 28 19:05:32 eru qdiskd[3552]: <crit> Specified device /dev/mpath/dom0qdisk
does match kernel's reported sector size (0 != -1)

Here's what I've done wrt the qdisk device. Debian creates the multipath
device links somewhere under /dev/disk/by-id/. The cluster configuration is
for /dev/mpath/dom0qdisk and I didn't want to change it, so I added a udev
rule and had the /dev/mpath/ symlinks created. Other than this, everything
else has been configured exactly the same as the CentOS setup.

After this whole shebang, I again booted into CentOS and everything works
fine.

The only difference I've noticed is that the major number of the mpath device
is 253 on CentOS and 254 on Debian. Though both 253 and 254 fall under the
reserved range for local/experimental block devices, so I don't think that'd
be a problem.

I later updated the config and changed the identity of the Debian node and
made it a third member of the cluster. Still, no go. I even tried to use
/dev/mapper/dom0qdisk directly as well, but still, the problem persists.

Could anyone please help me with the issue?

Thanks,
Mrugesh