[Linux-cluster] Redhat 5.3 clvmd hang

Curtis Collicutt curtis at athabascau.ca
Tue Aug 4 20:48:05 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've been experiencing hangs with clvmd (and all associated commands: lvs, vgdsplay, ect) on a 3 node cluster.

I am using cman and clvmd to create clustered lvs from a san backend.

I recently upgraded from 5.2 to 5.3 because occasionally commands began to hang, and would not work until I rebooted either 1 or 2 of the nodes, and there seemed to be several fixes in 5.3.

These are the versions of cman and lvm2-cluster I am using. I'm using the lvm2-cluster from centos, rather than redhat.

[root at cluster6 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)
[root at cluster6 ~]# rpm -qa cman
cman-2.0.98-1.el5_3.4
[root at cluster6 ~]# rpm -qa lvm2-cluster
lvm2-cluster-2.02.40-7.el5 <- from centos packages

and this is what nodes there are:

[root at cluster6 ~]# cman_tool nodes
Node  Sts   Inc   Joined               Name
   1   M   2336   2009-08-04 14:39:42  cluster7
   2   M   2336   2009-08-04 14:39:42  cluster5
   3   M   2332   2009-08-04 14:39:19  cluster6
[root at cluster6 ~]# cman_tool services
type             level name     id       state
fence            0     default  00010003 none
[1 2 3]
dlm              1     clvmd    00020003 none
[1 2 3]

and this is what's hanging after "service clvmd start"

 7056 pts/0    S+     0:00 /usr/sbin/vgscan

it just sits there forever, and I can't run any "lvm" type commands. If I kill it the clvmd init script moves onto vgchange -ayl which also hangs.

Any thoughts? Is there some kind of human error misconfiguration that could be going on here?

Thanks,
Curtis.

__
---