[Linux-cluster] Is there any backup heartbeat channel

Hakan VELIOGLU veliogluh at itu.edu.tr
Wed Aug 12 10:01:22 UTC 2009

----- robejrm at gmail.com den ileti ---------
   Tarih: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:21:00 +0200
  Kimden:  Juan Ramon Martin Blanco <robejrm at gmail.com>
Yanıt Adresi:linux clustering <linux-cluster at redhat.com>
    Konu: Re: [Linux-cluster] Is there any backup heartbeat channel
    Kime: linux clustering <linux-cluster at redhat.com>

> 2009/8/12 Hakan VELIOGLU <veliogluh at itu.edu.tr>
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I am trying a two node cluster with RH 5.3 on Sun X4150 hardware. I use a
>> private network for heartbeat channel and fence_ipmilan for fencing the two
>> node. When I unplug the heartbeat channel cable, both cluster nodes shut
>> themselves down with fence_ipmilan.
>>
>> I think the single point of failure for this design is private heartbeat
>> channel. I made a search on the web and there seems no backup heartbeat
>> channel (like LVS) on cluster suite.
>>
>> How can I overcome this single point of failure problem?
>>
>> One solution is I think, bonding heartbeat interfaces, however I use all
>> available interfaces and there is no extra interface for private heartbeat
>> channel. For this reason this solution doesn't suit me.
>>
> Why do you need a private heartbeat channel? Configure two network
> interfaces in a bonding one, connect the two of them to two different
> switches (with a redundant interconnection), make sure switches let
> multicast traffic through. Configure bonding interface IP to fit your needs.

This is another good solution which already mentioned in the list. I
use this cluster design for two xen hosts. We have VLAN networking and
I got two interfaces which are trunk. Then I made bridge vlan
interfaces on this bond trunk network for virtual machines. So there
left two interfaces. One of them is for management network which is in
a DMZ zone. And another for private heartbeat. I can use management
for heartbeat but what changes? When I unplug the management network
cable this problem will occur again. I cant bond the private and
management interfaces because of limitations on network hardware?

On the other hand this solution is good for other cluster desings but
not this I think. I am really confused why there is no backup
heartbeat channel in cluster suite?