[Linux-cluster] do I have a fence DRAC device?

Kaerka Phillips kbphillips80 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 11:53:08 UTC 2009

If you have a drac, it should either be visible with the OpenManage
interface, commands, or as a 10/100 port on the far left of the back of the
server; and also should give you a setup screen during bootup.  If you don't
have one though, you can still use ipmi fencing to the on-board BMC/ESM
card.  We've found the only real drawback to this is that sometimes the ipmi
fencing may have difficulty communicating to a locked up host or a host
which has kernel panic'd.
The drac is better though, as it allows for ssh and full power-off/power-on
functionality.  Also, if your drac is a drac5 and has firmware greater than
1.20 on it (such as 1.33), you'll need to use the fence_drac5 module which
is included but not fully documented.