[Linux-cluster] Re: Linux-cluster Digest, Preventing LVM from concurrent access

Edson Marquezani Filho edsonmarquezani at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 19:27:37 UTC 2009

> I know about Luci and Ricci. I'm pretty sure you would not be able to
> use my script with then, either with the system-config-cluster tool
> which i have tested, because the "don't know" about this resource
> script. You will need to use it, meanwhile this script gets into the
> project or not, configuring the cluster.conf file by hand.

Unfortunately, all RedHat documentation I've have seen just tells how
to do administration tasks with those graphical tools. That's why I'm
facing some difficulties to understand the file, although its
structure is simple.

> You dont need to create a new script that uses mine. Take a look to the
> cluster.conf file and the RedHat manuals about Cluster Administration
> and configure my resource script as part of a service, as your are
> suspecting.
>
> You need to define a service the cluster has to handle. You plan to run
> Xen Virtual Machines, don't you? You'll need a service, at least, formed
> by:
>
> 1.- An IP Address where the service is offered
> 2.- A shared storage where the virtual machines lay
> 3.- A "binary" or "system call out" to start the Xen service when the
> two preceding items are taken.

Maybe I have not been clear enough. When I said that I was thinking
about writing a script, I was refering to a service script, like those
found in /etc/init.d.

> I provide you as an attached file an example cluster.conf file I have
> just prepared to show you as an example of lvm-cluster usage. It is for
> a NFS export service to a client. Fencing is not configured, but qdisk
> is.

Ok, I have tried to make my own cluster.conf, and I would apreciate if
you could validate it to me. I took the conf generated here by Luci,
your example, and another example from here[1], and I have made
mine[2].
It has a fence action, but not a quorum disk yet, the two lvm-cluster
resources I need, and one service definition, which would launch the
VMs with a script made by me. I didn't specified a logical volume,
because I want the whole VG locked. I can do that, can't I ?

Obs: nobody has told me, but I guess that I should put your
lvm-cluster.sh in /usr/share/cluster/, am I right?

Am I thinking correctly now?

Thank you, again.

Obs: I don't need an IP section because all my services (that are
IP-dependant, off course) run inside the VMs, and they have their own
IPs, it don't matter which phisical server they are running on. Ok?

[1] http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/wiki/QuickStart-Portuguese
[2] http://pastebin.com/f1601e50e