[Linux-cluster] NFS client failover

Mike Cardwell linux-cluster at lists.grepular.com
Tue Aug 25 11:19:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have a small cluster which shares a filesystem via GFS on a SAN, with
iSCSI. There are a couple of hosts external to this cluster which I
would like to have access to the GFS filesystem via NFS. I have exported
the same mountpoint on each of the hosts that have the GFS mount.

I can connect via NFS to one of these cluster hosts, but when it goes
down, I have to unmount it, and then remount against another host. I
suspect I could do something with a floating IP? but I was wondering if
it would be possible to do this with client side logic so that the nfs
mount automatically moves to a different working host if one stops
responding?

I tried creating multiple A records in the DNS for a single host, and
connecting to that hostname, but that doesn't seem to work. It seems to
pick one of the IPs and stick to it. Any ideas?

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/