[Linux-cluster] more info on fencing

Brett Cave brettcave at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 09:30:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan <
raju.rajsand at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am not an expert in cluster.
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Brett Cave <brettcave at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am using ilo fencing to reset servers, so this is more power fencing
> than
> > fabric fencing?
>
> Following is my understanding of fencing:
>
> There are three type of fencing (excluding manual):
> 1. Power fencing -- using IP enabled power strips
> 2. In-band fencing -- using RSA, ILO, IPMI and the such -- sorta power
> fencing
> 3. Storage fencing -- using the SAN fabric Switch

Ah, ok - in-band fencing it is, thanks. With regards to my previous post, I
assumed that the name applied to the fencing method of a node had some sort
of impact, but from what i can see, it seems to just be for reference.

I used to maintain consistency in the config file (which i editted
manually):
<clusternode ...><fence><method name="fabric">....</></>
the method name was originally fabric as i was going to use san fabric
switching, but this did not work - ILO fencing works well for us however, so
"inband" would be a more relevant name.

we are making changes that now result in configuration being updated via
ccs_tool, which doesn't seem to provide an parameter to configure the method
name, and defaults to "single" - so this is inconsistent with naming, but
with no real functional affects on the config.

thanks again.