[Linux-cluster] scsi reservation issue with GFS

Alan A alan.zg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 22:00:21 UTC 2009

Thank you very much, that did the trick. I will remove sg3_utils package
now. Hopefully this will never happen again. I had to remove SCSI
reservations from 4 different volumes. Any suggestions on how to avoid this
in the future? We were planning on using SCSI fencing in combination with
APC Power Switches, I am not sure this is such a good idea after this
experience? Any additional thoughts?

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Ryan O'Hara <rohara at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:07:12AM -0600, Alan A wrote:
> >
> > Thank you Ryan. This was totally correct - yet it will not let me remove
> the
> > reservation. Here is the output of several commands I tried:
> >
> > [root at fendev04 ~]# sg_persist -o -C -K 0xb0b40001 /dev/gfs_acct61/acct61
> >   HP        OPEN-V            6002
> >   Peripheral device type: disk
> > persistent reserve out: scsi status: Reservation Conflict
> > PR out: command failed
> >
> > ---------
>
> Ok. The trick is that you have to attempt to clear the reservations
> from a node that is registered with the device. In other words, being
> registered with the device is a prerequisite for doing certain
> operations, like clearing reservations and what-not.
>

> > [root at fendev04 ~]# sg_persist -i -k /dev/gfs_acct61/acct61
> >   HP        OPEN-V            6002
> >   Peripheral device type: disk
> >   PR generation=0x2, 2 registered reservation keys follow:
> >     0xb0b40001
> >     0xb0b40003
>
> So we have 2 keys registered. We'll call 'em 0001 and 0003. Those
> lower 32-bits are generated from the nodeid defined in cluster.conf,
> so if explicitly set the nodeid's in the config file, this should help
> determine which node is associated with each key.
>
> > [root at fendev04 ~]# sg_persist -i -r /dev/gfs_acct61/acct61
> >   HP        OPEN-V            6002
> >   Peripheral device type: disk
> >   PR generation=0x2, Reservation follows:
> >     Key=0xb0b40001
> >     scope: LU_SCOPE,  type: Write Exclusive, registrants only
>
> The reservation holder is 0001. That looks fine.
>
> Just out of curisousity, I see that that commands you were running
> were from a machine named 'fendev04'. Would that happen to be nodeid
> 4? If so, I'm guessing that the node you are trying to run the
> commands form is not registered with the device. Run the same command
> (sg_persist -o -C ...) from a different node (ie. one that is still
> registered with the device) and it should work.

Alan A.