[Linux-cluster] GFS+NFS+KDE

Corey Kovacs corey.kovacs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 17:39:51 UTC 2009

Alright, more testing today.

I reconfigured the GFS nodes to export the filesystems using NFS4 and
adjusted the client mounts accordingly and BAM! everything worked,
even firefox which was also killing me. So it seems this is a
GFS2+NFS3 thing. I did have to, as previously noted, shrink my wsize
down 8k.

This doesn't fix my problem since I have rhel3 machines which need to
be able to run KDE apps etc. However, it's a data point and paves the
way forward.

I tried to configure the cluster based exports but there is little in
the way of documentation for exporting things in an NFS4 way. The only
way I could see to do it was to export from all nodes and just float
the IP's around. It works but it's not what I'd call ideal. If someone
has the instructions or pointers to them, I'd greatly appreciate it.
As things are right now, I can have both nfs3 and nfs4 clients mount
the exported filesystems due to the nature of the exports and mount
--bind options.

I also noticed that when failing an IP, and thus the client mount
point from say server1 to server2, then back to server1 in a short
time (less than a minute) the client locked up for a few minutes. This
has had a bugzilla entry but I seem to have lost the link. Is there
work being done to fix that? or is the accepted workaround just to
avoid such silly behaviour?

All in all, I still need to find a fix for this, but I wanted to point
out that NFS4 seems to work.

Any information is appreciated and sorry for the seemingly ranting
nature of the previous post.