[Linux-cluster] Re: Fencing test

Stewart Walters stewart at epits.com.au
Sun Jan 11 22:00:42 UTC 2009

Paras pradhan wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Rajagopal Swaminathan
> <raju.rajsand at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Paras pradhan <pradhanparas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In an act to solve my fencing issue in my 2 node cluster, i tried to
>>> run fence_ipmi to check if fencing is working or not. I need to know
>>> what is my problem
>>>
>>> -
>>> [root at ha1lx ~]# fence_ipmilan -a 10.42.21.28 -o off -l admin -p admin
>>> Powering off machine @ IPMI:10.42.21.28...ipmilan: Failed to connect
>>> after 30 seconds
>>> Failed
>>> [root at ha1lx ~]#
>>> ---------------
>>>

>>> Here 10.42.21.28 is an IP address assigned to IPMI interface and I am
>>> running this command in the same host.
>>>

>> Sorry couldn't respond earlier as I do this on personal time (which as
>> useual limited for us IT guys and gals ;-) ) and not during work per
>> se..
>>
>> Do not run fence script from the node that you want to fence.
>>
>> Let us say you want to fence node 3.
>> 1. Try pinging the node 3's IPMI from node 4. I should be successful
>> 2. Issue the fence command from Node 4 with IP of Node 3 IPMI as argument .
>>

>> HTH
>>
>> With warm regards
>>
>> Rajagopal
>>
>> --
>>

> Thanks will try that. Did u get a chance to see my cluster.conf file?
>

> Paras.

Actually, I've recently had this same problem myself.

My second node went to fence the first node and what instead happened
was the fence tool hung because the ipmitool hung.

As far as I'm aware this was not always the case - I've been able to
fence node01 from node02 before.

Node02 can ping node01's address and it can ping node01's ipmi address
as well.

However ipmitool says it can not reach the ipmi address, even though I
can manually.

Is anyone else having this issue?  Possibly problem with ipmitool
perhaps? My boxes are Red Hat 5.2 and were updated via RHN on Friday.

Regards,

--
Stewart Walters
Senior IT Consultant

E&P IT Solutions Pty Ltd
Office: Level 2, 157 Rokeby Road, Subiaco, W.A. 6008
E-mail: stewart at epits.com.au
Phone: 08 9388 8622   Fax: 08 6210 1780   Mobile: 0419 977 848

==  Red Hat Linux, Solaris, VMware, Oracle and Windows.  ==
== Solutions for high performance and high availability. ==