[Linux-cluster] 2 IP addrs on one NIC : for 2 applications listening on same tcp port to bind to

sunhux G sunhux at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 12:05:27 UTC 2009

Hi,

How can I create 2 separate IP addresses for one physical NIC
in RHES 4.5?

I have 2 applicaitons, one Oracle & one UPS software & both
listens/bind to same tcp port number.

Purpose is to have Oracle bind to one IP addr while UPS bind
to the 2nd IP addr (ie the alias address as in Solaris).

Let me know the steps, step by step as pretty new to Linux

BTW, do I need to restart the server or the 2nd IP address
created can go live without a reboot?

Thanks