[Linux-cluster] GFS/clvmd question

Gary Romo garromo at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 15 17:27:29 UTC 2009

I got my logical volume activated via a "lvchange -ay /dev/vg/new_lv" and
was able to mount it.
I just wondered why clvmd/gfs did not handle this, as I have seen it
before.

Gary Romo

             Gary
             Romo/Denver/IBM at I
             BMUS                                                       To
             Sent by:                  linux-cluster at redhat.com
             linux-cluster-bou                                          cc
             nces at redhat.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [Linux-cluster] GFS/clvmd question
             01/15/2009 09:08
             AM

             Please respond to
             linux clustering
             <linux-cluster at re
                 dhat.com>

Why can't I mount my gfs logical volume on the second node in the cluster?
I am creating a new GFS file system on an existing cluster. Here is what I
did;

1. I determined I had space in an existing volume group (both nodes)
2. I created my logical volume (node 1)
3. I ran my gfs_mkfs (node 1)
4. I mounted my new lv on node 1 only

Here is the error I get on node 2

# mount /gfs/new_mount
/sbin/mount.gfs: invalid device path "/dev/vggfs/new_lv"

I see that the logical volume is "inactive" on node2 and "ACTIVE" on node 1

inactive '/dev/vgclgfs/new_lv' [25.00 GB] inherit

ACTIVE '/dev/vgclgfs/new_lv' [25.00 GB] inherit

What do I need to do in order to make this logical volume active on node
2 ?
I thought that this would have happened automagically via clvmd, and not
have to be done manually.

Gary Romo--
Linux-cluster mailing list
Linux-cluster at redhat.com