[Linux-cluster] GFS2 tuning recommendations on RHEL 5.3

Ramiro Blanco ramiblanco at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 21:12:06 UTC 2009

2009/1/13 Steven Whitehouse <swhiteho at redhat.com>

> Ideally you want to arrange the application so that you are not pushing
> the cache from node to node too often. So it depends on the application
> rather than the filesystem.

All my nodes are all accesing the same data, as they are serving a moodle
platform and a squirrelmail, so they _read_  all the same (i guess this is
not an issue because they only read).

The classic example is running a mail server
> with lots of small files in the same directory, and the solution is to
> have a number of separate directories. The issue in that case is that
> creating and deleting files requires exclusive access to the directory
> in which the files are being created and deleted and thus the
> application has to lay out its files such that all the nodes are not all
> trying to do that in just one single directory at once.

So, you mean that when a node wants to write to a file locks the whole dir?
In that case i would have a problem there because moodle saves lots
(eventually thousands) of session files on a single dir

It can make a huge difference to performance, and its not something
> which can really be fixed at a filesystem level,

I guess i would have to split that session dir in several dirs if that's the
case.

Thank you,

--
Ramiro Blanco